Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Joy of Beginnings: Caroline Fyffe



I’m so happy to be a part of Cheryl’s month-long Joy of Writing. In this profession there are so many times when a writer can get discouraged. Feel rejected. Suffer writer’s block. Let stress cripple creativity. When those times occur, I open up a blank page. Why? Because I LOVE beginnings. Most writers will agree that writing “The End” brings a sense of joy to the soul, and I agree with that wholeheartedly. Still, opening up a clean page to build a character, and then her world around her, with unlimited possibilities ahead, brings another wonderful sense of joy. With that said, there are times when working on a WIP bring small bursts of joy that I call flashes of delight. Here are some situations that might make me sit back and smile. It’s then I realize that my job is the best in the world. 
    



1.   When I finally discover the “why” behind a character I plopped into the story seemingly for no reason at all. He or she may have been there for days and I didn’t know why. I even worried about editing him/her out. Then, bam! Inspiration hits like a bolt of lightning, and now his/her purpose is revealed as a central part of my plotting. JOY!

2.      Writing really good dialog that makes me either laugh out loud or shed a tear. JOY!

3.      Experiencing a day when my fingers can’t keep up with the story in my head. JOY!

4.      Helping another writer plot past a rocky part in their WIP. JOY!

5.      Reading a really great review of one of my books. JOY! 

6.      Having a plot twist pop into my head when I least expect it. JOY!

These are some of the events that bring me joy; I’d love to hear what delights you most in your reading or writing.

Watch for Caroline’s upcoming releases!
Moon Over Montana, June 2014
Mail-Order Brides of the West: Kathryn, August 25
West Winds of Wyoming, September 30, 2014  



11 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline, you've outlined the joys of writing just perfectly! The blank first page is indeed like a blank artist's canvas...the possibilities are endless. But I think I most like it when a character "speaks" to you and says what he/she wants to do. Instead of what you've plotted LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Tanya! Those characters have a mind of their own, and come up with some great stuff. And thank goodness for it, I say. LOL

      Thanks for stopping by!

      {{{Hugs}}}

      Delete
  2. Great post. Like Tanya says, it's the perfect outline of writers' joys. Now, if we can just remember...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Liz....I almost started in on my personal JOYs also, but thought that might make the post too long. :) Life is good, with so much to be thankful for. And I'm thankful for you stopping by to say hello!! :)

      Delete
  3. Yes! Great examples of the joyful moments. I love beginnings, too. My friends think I'm nuts because I love to write a synopsis. It's the best part and helps me put all my fresh thoughts together and make sure there's enough conflict to sustain the story. Fresh starts are awesome.

    Thanks for joining me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cheryl! I'm happy to be here! I like to chart out my conflict beforehand as well. Then there's no going back and adding in.

    Have an awesome day!! A 'Joy filled' day!!

    {{{Hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Caroline and ohhhhh so true!!!!!! I especially love the one about the "why" behind a character! I LOVE it when that happens!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Geralyn! That moment is so magical. And usually happens in the shower, for me. LOL

    Thanks for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Caroline!! I love to get lost in the stories I'm reading. The suspense, and the romance of it all. Even the everyday joys that you bring across. May you always have joy filled days :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice note, Anna! Thank you! Your friendship has brought just that into my life... Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete